by Ed Dutcher February 21, 2023
How To Set Up Multiple Microphones For a Podcast
Record Your Podcast With Multiple XLR Mics
Many solo podcasters like the simplicity of USB podcast microphones, but using multiple USB mics for a podcast isn’t always a good idea.A better solution for a multiple microphone podcast setup includes switching to XLR mics or using a mix of USB and XLR mics for optimal audio recordings. Compared to USB mics, you can do more with XLR mics because of their versatility and capabilities. For the best customizability, opt for an XLR mic with adjustable patterns like the MovoVSM-7 so you and your co-host can really tweak your setup to your needs.
Give Everyone a Microphone for Podcasting
If you really want your podcast to sound nice and have more control over the sound quality, it’s best that each person has their own mic to record with.Something with an XLR connection would be the best when designing your 2+ microphone podcast setup. There are also podcasting bundles out there that you and your co-host can invest in to have everything you need!
Wondering which to get? If youdon’t want spend too much time figuring out how to set up two mics for a podcast and prefer a one and done solution, check out some of our best podcasting bundles:
- For professionals looking to upgrade their equipment (iPhone): MBP-PRO-DI-HP
- For more casual podcasters who need new equipment (Android/USB-C): MBP-UC
- For more casual podcasters who need new equipment (iPhone): MBP-DI
Invest In A Good Multi-Channel Mixer
While your smartphone or laptop can capture fairly decent sound by themselves, these devices are better suited for remote podcast recording instead. When you're using multiple mics for a podcast, you’ll need a mixer with a lot of channels to enhance your sound. That way, you can ensure that your audio already sounds clear and whole from the get go so you can spend less time editing the recording on your laptop afterward.
Audio mixers with two channels, like the MovoAM 100, will level up your multiple microphone podcast setup and allow you and your co-host to record using two mics in the same place.
Use A Digital Recorder For Your 2+ Mic Podcast
While a mixer can dramatically improve sound quality when using your computer to record, it’s better to use a digital recorder for interviews and conversations. A digital recorderenhances your 2+ microphone podcast setup by allowing you and your co-host to record on individual audio tracks. It also gives you the option of recordingin a studio or outdoors.
Using a digitalrecorder with your XLR mics is a convenient way to get exceptional sound quality in your recordings without using a ton of equipment. Additionally, using a digital recorder gives you greater flexibility when it comes to where you’re going to record your podcastwith multiple microphones. If you plan to record your podcast outside or on the go check out ashockmount to reduce the impact of handling noise and a portablerecorder windscreen to minimize wind interference.
Tips for Recording a Podcast with a Multi Mic Setup
When recording a podcast with multiple mics, the right equipment is key. However, you shouldn’t forget to apply best recording practices!
- Be sure to mic test everyone’s microphone before the podcast session. You don’t want to record a multi-mic podcast with everyone only to find out that one of the mics didn’t capture and record someone.
- Plan ahead! Recording a solo podcast is an endeavor on its own, but recording a podcast with multiple people can be tricky if everyone is not on the same page. Align with everyone on what the topic of the session will be, who is saying what, and what everyone is in charge of preparing. Use this prep as a guiding factor, but by no means do you have to stick to a rigid script!
- If you are recording outdoors, make sure you have the proper equipment, like windscreens and shock mounts. You don’t want ambient background noise to drown out your and your co-host’s voices.
- Lastly, have fun! It’s great that you and your friends or family can come together to talk about a topic you’re all passionate about.
Record a broadcast-ready podcast directly to your iPhone with this complete kit including two stu...
Record a podcast or interview directly to your iPhone with this complete podcasting setup, incldu...
Check out Related Products:
Capture studio-grade sound with this large diaphram condenser microphone with cardioid pickup pat...
With 4 adjustable microphone pickup patterns, this versatile USB microphone will capture broadcas...