THE ZOOM H3-VR
360° AUDIO RECORDER
The Zoom H3-VR virtual reality audio recorder is the complete solution for capturing and processing spatial audio for VR, AR and mixed-reality content. With a built-in Ambisonic mic, recorder and decoder, the H3-VR puts 360-audio in the palm of your hand.
In the past, capturing VR audio required a dedicated Ambisonic mic, a separate recorder and a computer for encoding the audio from raw Ambisonics A format to VR-ready Ambisonics B format. Now, with the H3-VR, all of the encoding and decoding is done on board, saving time, money and effort at every step.
Audio For Every Reality
Ambisonics Audio for VR
The H3-VR’s 4-capsule Ambisonic mic captures precise 360-degree VR audio recordings up to 24 bit/96 kHz. And without ever connecting to a computer, the onboard decoder allows you to export Ambisonics B-format files directly.
Binaural 3D Stereo
The H3-VR also records stereo binaural WAV files up to 24 bit/48 kHz. Stereo binaural provides a hyper-realistic spatial recording that enhances 2D productions with 3D audio.
The H3-VR even offers standard stereo recording for recordings that will be played out of speakers rather than headphones.
5.1ch Surround for Video
Free to download, ZOOM Ambisonics Player software can easily convert Ambisonics audio to a 5.1ch surround file that is pre-aligned to the proper speakers, and is exported to your video or audio editor for syncing with standard video.
Live Streaming 360
The H3-VR also enables you to live stream events in 360 degrees so that wherever your fans are, they’ll have access to the best seats in the house.
6-Axis Motion Sensor
Fits Anywhere. Captures Everything. The H3-VR’s compact, conical design captures audio from multiple angles without getting in the way of the camera or the action.Auto Mic Position and Level Detection make placing the H3-VR simple. Whether positioned upright, upside down, endfire or endfire inverted, the H3-VR automatically calibrates so your audio and video are already aligned for post.
Upgrade Your Game Experience
The slam of dungeon doors, growl of monsters or howl of the wind can make or break a player’s fantasy. With the ability to capture high-quality in-game audio, you can elevate your player’s experience to new levels.
Monitoring & Playback
Monitor your audio live in stereo binaural or use the H3-VR’s onboard Ambisonics Decoding to simulate your recorded 360-experience during playback.
Streaming and More
Perfect for live streaming, video conferencing, direct recording and more, the H3-VR’s audio interface mode turns it into a USB 360 mic for your computer or stereo mic for your iOS device.
360º Post-Production Made Easy
The H3-VR’s companion ZOOM Ambisonics Player software takes the work out of post-production by easily converting your Ambisonics files to Stereo, Binaural, 5.1ch surround and more. Play, trim, re-orientate and export your audio files in minutes.
What's in the Box
- 4 built-in mics arranged in an Ambisonic array
- Full-sphere surround sound recording
- Single-knob gain control of all input levels
- Onboard Ambisonics A to B decoding
- Three recording modes: Ambisonics, Stereo Binaural or Standard Stereo
- Record up to 24bit/96kHz
- Stereo binaural monitoring of Ambisonics signal
- Headphone output and line output
- Slate tone
- Extensive metadata
- Auto Mic Position Detection using 6-axis gyroscope (upfront, endfire,
upside-down, endfire inverted)
- Level Function to ensure precise angle placement
- Wireless iOS remote control available with BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter
- Onboard Ambisonics playback with audio rotation
- Accurate internal clock with .5ppm discrepancy
- USB 2.0 Audio Interface Mode
- Zoom PC/Mac post-production software
- Powered by 2 AA batteries or USB bus power
- Records to SD card up to 512GB
Cards compatible with microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC specifications
(Class 4 or higher)
Ambisonics A, Ambisonics B (FuMa/AmbiX)
WAV 4ch poly (supports BWF and iXML): 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit, 96 kHz/16-bit, 96 kHz/24-bit
WAV stereo (supports BWF and iXML): 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bit, 48kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit, 96 kHz/16-bit, 96 kHz/24-bit
WAV stereo (supports BWF and iXML): 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bit, 48kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit
1.25" monochrome LCD (96×64)
6 axes (3-axis gyro, 3-axis acceleration)
Built-in Ambisonic mic:
4 matched unidirectional condenser mics
Maximum sound pressure input: 120 dB SPL
Mic gain: +18 – +48 dB
Connector: 3.5 mm stereo mini
Maximum output level: −10 dBu (1 kHz, 10 kΩ load)
Connector: 3.5 mm stereo mini
Maximum output level: 20 mW + 20 mW (into 32Ω load)
Mass storage operation
- USB 2.0 High Speed
Audio interface operation
- 2 in/2 out (stereo/binaural input), USB 2.0 Full Speed
- 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit
- 4 in/2 out ( Ambisonics A/FuMa/AmbiX input), USB 2.0 High Speed
- 44.1 kHz/24-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit
2 AA batteries (alkaline, rechargeable NiMH or lithium)
AC adapter (ZOOM AD-17): DC 5V/1A (supports USB bus power)
Estimated continuous recording time using batteries:
48 kHz/24-bit, FuMa Rec Mode
- Alkaline batteries: about 11.5 hours
- NiMH batteries (1900 mAh): about 11.5 hours
- Lithium batteries: about 24 hours
- The above values are approximate.
- Continuous battery operation times were determined using in-house testing methods. They will vary greatly according to use conditions.
76 mm (W) × 78 mm (D) × 123 mm (H)
Weight (main unit only):
- H3-VR Handy Recorder
- Foam windscreen
- Dual mounting bracket
- AA batteries